Kevin
Kumashiro's article, "Toward a Theory of Anti-Oppressive Education", takes the closest look at the "Other", as he calls it, and the implications of the educational environment on the other that I have ever read. I thought this article was very dense in its amount of information (and I don't mean this in a bad way) and explores every possible consideration one may have when it comes to the concept of the "other" in an educational setting. Because this was the case, I ended up having to rethink or reexamine the ways I had previously viewed certain aspects of education. One point he made in particular really struck a chord with me and that is that when we use multicultural literature in a classroom, we should be using it not to have our students simply learn about another type of person's experience, but to use that reading to also deconstruct the hierarchy of power in place between normal and other. He also said that often times reading this multicultural literature and talking about these issues leads to empathy, but that empathy should not be the final goal. Again, it should be to deconstruct the partial knowledge that is in place surrounding those who are
othered. Before reading this article, I think I was in the group of people
Kumashiro was talking about that only have empathy in mind. I can't feel too bad about this, though, because empathy is a good trait, but, again, not the end all be all in this specific discussion. I now see that I, and we as educators, must go beyond even our good intentions and really seek fundamental change when it comes to how certain groups of people are treated and educated in our schools. And as this article points out, as we try to do this, we will keep coming across more and more considerations and obstacles, but we must not be deterred for the sake of each and every one of our students.
1 comment:
I think you have a great point about integrating multicultural literature and aspects into lesson plans. I was just discussing this is class with my group the other day. As a future social studies teacher I hope to consistently incorporate aspects from the other in my daily lesson plans. For example: In a typical lesson about the early settlers, I would like to include primary sources from Native Americans of that time period. Another idea to continuously incorporate the perspective of Native Americans would be to not only study the Great Depression and how it affected rural, white America, but also the minorities such as Native Americans on reservations at the time. It might sound like I would be forcing the issue sometimes but these are the things that some teachers never touch on but overall, I think create a more historically aware classroom and eventually more "other" conscious students.
Meghan H
Post a Comment